The Millaa Millaa Waterfall Circuit
The Millaa Millaa Waterfall Circuit is a sealed road that visits three magnificent waterfalls within short distance of each other.
Milla Millaa falls, pictured above, is probably the prettiest falls, and one of the most photographed images in the Wet Tropics.
- The waterfall circuit includes three waterfalls are found close to the town of Millaa Millaa.
- Millaa Millaa is a small town (population 400), located 34km south of Yungaburra, on the Palmerston Highway.
- The three falls that comprise the circuit are: Millaa Millaa, Zillie and Ellinjaa falls.
- The turnoff to these waterfalls is a few kilometres on the eastern side of the town.
- Taking binoculars, camera and most importantly, water would be beneficial to your trip.
MILLAA MILLAA FALLS
- First of the three waterfalls 3km off the main road.
- Frequented by locals and tour groups alike as it is a popular swimming spot.
- You may see the Ulysses Butterfly and Platypus late in the afternoon.
- There are many iridescent dragonflies that may stay still long enough for you to be able to take a photo of them.
- There are plenty of parking spaces at these falls.
- Shelter, barbecue and picnic facilities are available.
- These falls are found 7.5km past the Millaa Millaa falls.
- The walking path to the falls is not very clearly marked and it is much easier to see the car park on the right side of the road before the bridge.
- One of the trees in this particular car park is home to a colony of Flying Foxes can easily be seen.
- A short walk across the road takes you through some forest and to the viewing area.
- There is no access to the waterfall from the platform but a good view of the proceeding rapids and the top of the falls.
- There is no swimming access at this waterfall.
- Only a 3km drive past the Zillie Falls are the Ellinjaa Falls.
- There is a grassed picnic area adjacent to the parking facilities.
- A viewing platform is located at the beginning of the walk (which descends to the waterfalls base), and provides a clear view for photo opportunities.
- The short walk down to the falls has been made into steps to make the descent safer and easier.
- Platypus and Turtles can be found in the plunge pool of the falls,
- Swimming is not recommended at these fall.